Sunday, October 11, 2015

Review: ScarAway Silicone Daily Discs

 
Retail: $29.99 for box of 24

Despite the many spills I took growing up, only one was bad enough to leave me with a lovely reminder.  A big ol' scar smack dab over my eye, right on the brow bone.  It's faded somewhat over the years but is still pretty visible of you're looking hard enough. So of course I was curious when PR contacted me about trying ScarAway Silicone Daily Discs.   

The discs are for scars up to 1" inch in diameter and are directed to be worn for 12- 24 hours per day.  They use advanced technology that is a specifically formulated silicone which mimics the natural barrier function of healthy skin.  research suggests that silicone acts to hydrate scar tissue, which in turn works to soften the scar, reducing excessive scar formation and causing it to fade.  It is also advertised as being able to protect the delicate scar area and help alleviate itching, burning and pain that sometimes happens with scaring.  

Now, because my scar is on my face, I had difficulty following the directions exactly.  For starters, I definitely did not wear these for 12 hours + a day.  Even though they are clear, they were still visible on my face and I wasn't going to wear one to work.  And because my scar falls in such a difficult spot (through the middle of my brow bone to about the top of my crease), the 1 inch circle disc proved to be slightly too big and difficult to situate.    





But generally, the discs were easy to use.  Each night, I washed my face (they advise staying away from cleansers containing lotions or oils), and dried off.  Next, I cut a disc in half and pressed it firmly over the area, then wore it to bed (for 6-8 or so hours).   By morning, I woke up with it still in place.  No slipping or shifting, and surprisingly, I didn't experience discomfort while sleeping.  It peeled right off too, no worse then a band aid.

Before

After
  
The directions advise some people will see results in 4-8 weeks.  My results were more gradual and happened closer to 8 weeks.  Most likely because I deviated slightly from the recommended path of application, but fortunately I still saw a moderate improvement and slight reduction in size. 

Most notable, however, was the skin became smoother and less thick.  I used to dread getting my eyebrows done because the aesthetician had to work through the scarred area in order to shape them and, as if the (threading) process isn't painful enough, the constant tugging at the area did NOT feel good.  Now, it seems easier for her and less painful for me.  I feel like they might be more effective on newer scars (mine is several years old) but I did see a difference and am happy I got to work with them.     

*Product is latex & drug free*
 

Available at: 
Amazon, Drugstore.com, CVS, Walgreens, Duane Reade, HEB Fred Meyer, Meijer, Harmon's, Harris Teeter, Shopko/ Pamida, Pathmark, and NEXCOM

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for the comment, I love them and read every one! Hope you visit again :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...